View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 09, 2005, 03:53pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by ref18
It wouldn't have been a double, because the B player was just holding onto the ball, not trying to grab it or move.

But the big question that still hasn't recieved an answer yet is, Can you have an intentional foul without contact??
The ball was DEAD, so it was not an intentional foul, it was a TECHNICAL foul, and it can be a T with or WITHOUT contact.

An intentional foul may or may not be a technical foul, but is ALWAYS a contact foul, 4-19-3.

As described you have an unsporting T, 10-4-7 and not 10-4-8.

BZ:

Becareful when using the word "ALWAYS." No were in NFHS R4-S19-A3 (nor in the NCAA Rules for that matter) does it say that contact must occur for a foul to be intentional. A foul that "neutralize[s] an opponent's obvious advantageous position" is an intentional foul.

Keeping in mind that technical fouls can be intentional too (but if one reads my post in this thread of Jan. 08/Sat.(11:22pmEST), 2005, one will see that the penalty for an intentional foul is no more severe than for a technical foul that is neither intentional nor flagrant, but I digress) there are situations where a technical foul where no contact is involved can be intentional.

MTD, Sr.
Name a situation during a LIVE ball where you have an intentional foul, without contact, that BY RULE is not penalized as a technical foul?

Article 3 is referring to acts like intentionally delaying to stop the clock at the end of a game, which is an intentional TECHNICAL foul.

BZ:

You didn't read my two posts in this thread very carefully. First, read NFHS R4-S19-A3, and then re-read my two posts. After you have done that I will post a real situation where an intentional techncial foul occured during a live ball and there was no contact involved.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio