View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Similar Situation

A couple years back in a local 8th grade tournament, I had a nearly identical situation. Under a minute left in a closely contested game. A1 & B1 were wrestling the ball from each other as I "closed-in" making several solid blasts on my fox-40.

When I was within 3 feet of the players, I began to verbalize in a firm tone "Easy, Easy, Easy." The wrestling stopped, but both players still held the ball. After the initial action halted, A1 gives another solid yank of the ball. He then reverses his pull and throws an elbow and makes solid contact with B1's chest.

Based on the fact that this was contact during a dead ball situation, I did what I assumed was correct (My rules knowledge was not as thorough as it is now), I immediately assess a T for the unsporting act and A1’s coach (father of A1; former BB official, lost his certification due to the next fact; renowned hothead) goes bananas. My partner has a better rapport with raging coach and manages to step in and de-escalate the situation. The game ends without further incident. Team A collapsed and lost falling away.

In hindsight, I could have (and probably should have) assessed a flagrant T.