View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by TimTaylor
Situation in boys JV game last night. Visitors inbound the ball to start the 3rd quarter, defensive pressure almost immediately causes a travel, which my partner calls. Player called for the travel is clearly not happy about it. I run up to half court to administer the resulting throw in, and as I get close say "ball please". The player turns, gives me a glare, then loads up and fires it directly at me from about 10 feet away. I managed to grab it out of the air and then stared right back at him, until after a few seconds he broke eye contact & turned away. I was within a hair's breadth of calling the T, but decided not to. In retrospect, I probably should have. Both varsity officials were in the stands & we discussed it after the game - one said definitely whack him, the second said maybe.

Here's my question: If you call a T on a player for deliberately loading up and firing the ball hard directly at you, would you call just the normal T for UC, or call a flagrant?
Similar sitch in an 8th grade boys game. Player mad about foul called, but he didn't wait to "fire" just did it right away, and I wasn't looking. At the last possible instant, I saw something out of the corner of my eye, and got my hand up to block the ball. If I hadn't, it would have hit me in the side of the face. He'd thrown it so hard, it left my hand red and stinging. Partner sprints in and handles kid. No T. I was appalled at the time, but whatever he said, it worked. We didn't have any more trouble at all from that kid the rest of the tournament. So it's another case of calling the T if it'll help, but if not, try something else. You are the best judge -- the only judge!