Thread: oob T
View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 07, 2005, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19

It wasn't the situation that started this thread, but let me just remind the less experienced officials who are reading this: If A1 has the ball at her/his disposal for a designated spot throw in, and any other player from Team A steps out of bounds before the throw in ends (or is it on the release? - I need to go find my book...), *that* is a violation.

What he is talking about is this: 9-2-12 ...No teammate of the thrower shall be out of bounds after a designated-spot throw-in begins.

I wrote a thread on this last summer. I think that he is oversimplifying it. If the teammate merely steps OOB somewhere and stays there (ie he steps out to fake a switch with the thrower or really tries to switch but his teammate pulls away and doesn't allow it), that is a violation, but if that kid runs OOB down a sideline or endline in order to gain an advantage (ie get open to receive the throw-in pass) then I believe that action falls under the purview of 10-3-3 and a T should be called.

Opinions on this differed. I said to see the whole play and judge the player's entire action, then make the call. Others said to call a violation right away when the kid first steps OOB.