Old Thu Jan 06, 2005, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

And if there's one player from each team that has to be bought back in, why are the TO's concurrent? Why not successive? If Coach A decides to buy his player back in and then Player A is ready, so A's TO is about over, and then after that Coach B decides to buy his player back in, and asks for a TO, is it too late? At that point, if player B isn't ready yet, can Coach B at that point have as much of the 60 as it takes to get B ready?

I'm just not gittin' it, here.
You need to get both coaches' intentions before granting any timeouts. If A decides to take the timeout and B does not, then B needs to provide a substitute before the timeout begins for A. Once that player has been subbed for, they cannot reenter the court until the clock has run and stopped again.
So, it is too late for B at that point, he has already subbed for his player.
SO, I've got A1 and B1 with blood. Stop the game, get both coaches together, get their intentions, get sub for any player that won't be bought back in, grant any to's, but the whole to isn't used if the bloody player is ready early. Is this right?

And does any of this apply to injury? Is it the same routine?
rainmaker,
What these two have told you is correct. The NFHS produced a preseason handout which had a section on this. Perhaps your association doesn't get it. It basically says to learn both coaches' intentions before you grant any time-outs and they will run concurrently, if both choose to go that route.

I'll add that the TOs do not both have to be of the same length either. However, if one team takes a 30, their player must be ready to play by the end of that TO or his team must replace him or take another TO. The opponent will still get the full one minute to get ready, if they took a full.
You do NOT go early unless BOTH teams are ready to play. Same as for any other time-out.
It is the same procedure for blood or an injury.

Now for my personal crusade on NFHS terminology, which is not directed at anyone in particular, but to all who read the board.
The time-out allows the player TO REMAIN IN THE GAME. It does not permit a coach to "buy him back in" since he never left the contest. Please DO NOT use that coachspeak on this forum.
Actually, strictly speaking, once you direct the player to leave the game, it is too late to use the time-out and keep that player in. You really should be giving the coach the option to replace or take the TO after you notice the blood/injury, but before you direct the player to leave.

Lastly a little joke.
No matter what option the coaches select you do not need to make the game go an additional four minute period because of this!

Go take a look at this thread's title: "Blood OT"
and what you wrote in the first line of your post, "...about taking an overtime.."
Tough day?