View Single Post
Old Thu May 10, 2001, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Dave; Diddo !! That article is a very interesting one!! I feel that our system here in Wisconsin could use so uniformity. It's hard to keep track of who is scheduling at what time of the year. Some times it's not even the Comissioners or Athletic Directors that are booking the games. It may be another seasoned official that takes care of getting the officials for those games. So if you don't know them very well you can loose out. Of course we do have some of the 'good ole boys' here too. I don't think that you can get around that any where. I agree with you that it would be a waste of time to worry about who got what games. We do have a mentoring program in our association that is designed to help the younger guys coming up. I have always been thankful for the 'tips' and 'info' from our mentor.
You have to really bust your butt in the early stages of your officiating carrer to gain the trust from the coaches and AD's in order to keep getting games. I would rather have it that way then an association doing all of the booking. That's just my opinion only!! My thoughts have always been that you can go alot farther on your merits, so you had better work hard at being the best official that you can be.