Thread: correction
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 08:25pm
In Memoriam

Re: BITS I disagree

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
If you look above at the definition of bookkeeping, it is not the reporting. You have a good point, but I don't think that it is valid. I think that the rule is there to correct an error by the bookkeeper in recording things. The rule also refers to comparing the books to find the discrepency. If the books both record #35 then there is no way to discover the discrepency. I am not advocating not changing anything, I am advocating that we be sure we don't use 2-11-11 as the reason as, it isn't bookkeeping that is wrong but the reporting. Technically you can't correct it.

If you look at the case book, all of the cases in 2.11.10 discuss the official properly reporting/awarding the information and it is just recoreded incorrectly. These are all corrected under the bookkeeping error provision.

If you report a foul incorrectly, in my mind that is an inadvertant setting aside of a rule specifically 2-7-5 and 2-9-1

case book 2.10.1 is the closest I can find to this situation. If you read it, in situation A where the official fails to signal, and the scorer records 2 pts, it is listed as a correctable error if discovered within the proper time frame, not a bookkeeping error. In situation B where the off official signals the 3 but it is recorded as a 2, that is listed as a bookkeeping error. So the two (reporting, recording) are seperate acts, not one process. If they were one process then A would be correctable at anytime, but because the official fails to signal correctly (just like signalling a wrong number)it is an officials error, not bookkeeping...
The bottom line is that you still haven't cited a rule or a case book play that would negate the very specific language of Rule 2-11-11. Nothing that you've cited above does. Case book play 2.10.1 isn't applicable, and neither are any of the rules that you cited. I think that you should take this one to your local assignor/evaluator/rules guru and get their opinion on it- in case it ever does come up in a game that you're doing. Might be a good idea imo.