Thread: correction
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: the discrepency is in the recording not the reporting

Quote:
Originally posted by cmathews
JR, as was mentioned above, the discrepency would be if the official reported number 25 and it was recorded to number 35. That is a bookkeeping error.

If the official reports # 35 and the bookkeeper correctly records it, then it isn't a bookkeeping error. Now if the official goes back in time and says "oh man, that foul should have been on # 15" it still isn't a bookkeeping mistake, it is an officials error.

Now since you are stuck on this rule, 2-11-11, according to the first sentence the bookkeeper must notify the referee. So even if we take this situation and try and make it a bookkeeping error, the only way it could fit into 2-11-11 is if the bookkeeper says, "um hey mr Referee, I think the foul was on #25".

Now that last paragraph is ridiculous and I know it, but I am trying to point out that just because the word foul appears in that rule does not mean that all things to do with fouls are bookkeeping related.
#15 commits a foul. The official calls the foul. For whatever reason the official reports #35. The error is in the reporting, that is a bookkeeping function. Please note that the rule talks about a bookkeeping error, not a bookkeeper error. Bookkeeping is the process, not the person. If the official is certain that he reported it incorrectly, it can be changed at any time before the final score is approved.