View Single Post
Old Thu May 10, 2001, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dave Brost
I also found this article to be very interesting. Being from neighboring Wisconsin, we see many of the same things here that are pointed out in the article. Our system is set up for each official (or pair) to contract for their own games. This means many calls and letters to both Athletic Directors and Conference Commissioners. I do not see the golf outings and BBQ's as such, maybe they happen more on an individual basis. Most of Wisconsin is set up in a way that the Conference Commissioners will schedule all league games for the schools in that conference, with the Ahtletic Director from each school scheduling the non-conference games on their own. There are a few areas, such as the Milwaukee and SE Wisconsin area, where the conferences will work through an officials' association to schedule games, but usually just the JV and Varsity levels.

The biggest problem I think we have is that the Conference Commissioners and the Athletic Directors all have their own time-frame for scheduling, and if you are not sure when that is, you may miss out on games in that conference for an entire season. With some commissioners scheduling two years ahead, that means that the earliest you may get a game in that conference would be in three years.

My last point is that I think the "Good 'Ol Boy" network exist in all areas, some to a greater degree than others. I have taken the approach that for some of them, they have earned the right to have that advantage. I could beat my brains out worrying about who got games that didn't deserve them, and so on. I feel that if I make all of the proper contacts with Commissioners and AD's, and more importantly show my skill level on the court, the games will come to me. For the very same reason that I use this forum, I also keep trying to improve my game. Good luck to all.