View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
Here’s a play that actually occurred in a college game some years ago—1991 I think. Interested in hearing how you might handle it—and what you might do to ensure that nothing like it happens again.

Near the end of the game, UCLA is at USC’s 1-yard line going in for the winning score. On the snap, the QB muffs it. It rolls down his leg where he inadvertently kicks it into USC’s endzone. A mass of humanity ensues on the loose ball. Officials attempt to get to the bottom of the pile to determine who has it. After all but the last two players are pulled off, the umpire reports that there’s no ball at the bottom of the pile?!?! Looking around, R spots a USC player, Brian Allen, holding the ball aloft in the back of the end zone dying to celebrate.

What do you do???
No fumble rule, no matter what, cuz a muffed snap is muffing a backwards pass, so anyone can recover and advance. Well, in my opinion, you get EVERYBODY together and determine who saw what. If no one knows what happened or saw anything, it has to be a touchback, unless he runs it out. I don't know what else you can do, or what could be done to prevent it. Looking forward to others opinions. Bob, make sure you state yours eventually!