View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 05, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Here you go...

NCAA 4-2-3b: “A ball that touches a pylon is out of bounds behind the goal line.”

NF 4-3-2: “…If the ball touches a pylon, it is out-of-bounds behind the goal line.”

Note that both codes describe the situation as the ball being "behind the goal line" -- not the goal line extended. That would mean that any ball striking the pylon would have had to cross the goal line itself -- a TD by rule if in possession of the opponent of the team defending the goal line in question.

For NCAA, AR 8-2-1 III is the closest thing to the play we're discussing: "Runner A1, advancing in the field of play, becomes airborne at the two-yard line. His first contact with the ground is out of bounds three yards beyond the goal line. The ball, in possession of the runner, passed over the pylon. RULING: Touchdown (Rule 4-2-4-e)." Note that the player did not touch the ground inbounds so the extension of the goal line is immaterial. However, the ruling is still a TD with the ball passing over the pylon. By extension, hitting the pylon with the ball should result in the same ruling.

For Federation, I'm pretty sure there's also a case book play that backs up the ruling of TD. However, I don't have my Case Book with me and the online version is currently offline. I'll see what I can dig up at home tonight to support the Federation ruling of TD.