View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 04, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by mthomas
I was watching a boys varsity game (after I had officiated the jv game) and saw the following:

A-1 shoots the ball, B-1 blocks the ball (near the rim), the LEAD official call Goal Tending. The TRAIL
official then comes in (whose call it would have been--not the LEAD) and has a 1 minute meeting with the LEAD official and informs him that the ball had "no chance of going in", therefore it can't be goal tending. They then decide to give the ball back to Team A. ("as this is the fairest thing to do").

At half-time while discussing this play, I told that yes it was a "correctable error" as in (2-10, Art.1E and Art.6), but that they should have gone to the alternating possession arrow to decide who gets the ball. Since there was no team control when the whistle blew.

There is no case book play on this play. Would like to hear some feeback on this interesting play.
I think there were quite a few mistakes here, but none of them was correctable. The first mistake was in thinking that a call could be reversed as a 2-10 correctable error. Calling goaltending is not "counting a score" so the call can't be changed as a correctable error even if it was totally the wrong call. Secondly, even if the ball had "no chance of going in" if the defender touched the ball above the level of the rim on it's downward flight in the general direction of the basket, it's goaltending. Third, perhaps the lead should not have called that according to the book, but once it's called the partner should definitely not sail in and overrule. No matter how bad the call, overruling is never okay.

Still, I'm not the authority on goaltending, so don't take this as final.