View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 03, 2005, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Another couple bits

I would be willing to challenge anyone to blast out a 30-50 word response to a chirping coach.

How can you possibly be officiating during a live ball, paying attention to the action, and say that much to a coach?

Two to three words is about all I can say as I run by.

That's enough. (shake your head NO or give the zip your lips sign)
I heard you.
Sit down. (point to his seat)
Stop. (give the stop sign)
I'll get it. (give an okay sign)
You're right. (shake your head Yes)
Missed it. Sorry.

These other two, three, four sentence dissertations may be appropriate for a discussion but would be impossible to spit out during the second or two as you do your work in front of him. They might be possible during a dead ball, however, some of these dissertations are confrontational. So, don't expect to make them and then walk off; the coach is going to respond. Now the only escape is to suck up his response, or give the T that you probably should have already given.

Hand signals are good because they may be picked up on the game tape... your voice likely will not be heard on the tape.

I tend to feel that if the T is impending, I want everyone to know - not just the coach. I want everyone to understand that the T is deserved and that I'm not just sensitive or quick with the trigger. The coach earned this penalty - I warned him, I physically showed him (and everyone else) a stop sign, and he did not heed my request to behave.