Thread: 2004 My Bad
View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 02, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

When I make bad ones, I find that concentrating on good positioning helps me to be more consistant, whether at the bases or when working the slot. I think I will eliminate some of those 2004 mistakes by trying to do that the best I can.

As for a specific 2004 incident, the one that pops to mind is allowing the a coach to get under my skin. My judgment is negatively affected when this happens. ("Negatively affected" sounds a lot better than "I !%#& up.")

Remembering the basics and concentrating on the game and on my skills, as opposed to focusing on comments from coaches, players or fan, allows me to be a better official. If there are "personnel issues", I need to deal with those and then get my head back in the game. Sometimes that requires me to consciously state the basics to myself, "Okay, set up on the inside corner, eyes at proper level, feet square. Make sure you are set in your position when the pitch is delivered." If I concentrate on my techniques, the other things will fall in place.

Excellent thread!