Thread: Batters box
View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Roger Bridges
About 15 minutes left in a 12u game,home team has BEEN WORKING HARD to kick the dirt around to remove all traces of the chalk,obviously coached to do it,
No problem. If the pitcher is ready, direct the batter to enter the box. 1, 2, 4, 7, 9, 10, Strike!

Quote:
PU (me)gets bat from batter and draws batter box as best as possible home team coach announces hes protesting because the box is too small!its about 11 p.m.,
Two things here:

1. Never take a bat from the batter to draw lines (with one possible smart-*** type exception), not your job and it makes what is your job more difficult. If they choose to erase the lines, it makes your judgment calls on this level less arguable. What is a coach going to say, "her foot was right were the line was?" Umpire's response: "Coach, if your batters hadn't obliterated the lines, I would have had a much better visual aid to make that determination."

2. Smart-*** type exception (not recommended): If the batter chooses to draw lines in an attempt to show you up, feel free to take the bat and draw and arrow toward the dugout and out the gate to the parking lot
Quote:

i dont think his protest would have been upheld,but thinking quickly i remember the grounds keeper is STILL THERE,so i get him to restripe the batters box,negating the protest,and everyone was happy.
Nope, don't do it. Next thing you know, the teams will want you to redo the circle, 3' lane, etc. If it isn't done for every team in every game of that tournament, it shouldn't be done at all
Quote:

It only took about a 5 minute delay. Handled properly or improperly?Keep in mind,i had only called about 50 games previously.
You'll learn. Good luck.