View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 01, 2005, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: little details

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
If you really look closely, you will notice that 2-8-4 and 4-14-2, which govern a disqualified player, along with 5-8-4, the correctable error request, do NOT have the word HEAD in them. They use "a coach" or "the coach", not HEAD coach. So, an assistant coach can fulfill both of these needs and neither of them poses a problem to my stance.
On the other hand 5-8-3 specifically says "head coach's oral or visual request for a time-out."
You need to dig a little deeper. Take a look at the Coaches' Rule, 10-5-1. Those are all responsibilities of the HEAD coach. You can't deny the asst. an opportunity to handle any of those situations, if the head coach is unavailable for whatever reason. But by your interp, if you're going to deny the TO, then you must also deny him an opportunity to replace a DQ'ed or injured player or to go to the table for an error or mistake.

Quote:
Now, Tony does have a great point about the head coach who becomes ill or has to leave during the game due to an emergency. There is certainly no reason to penalize a team in this case. They have done nothing wrong. I can go with the spirit of the rule on that one.
However, when a head coach gets disqualified, it is because he or his team has done something improper. I don't have a problem with his team losing the ability to request a time-out from the bench as a result. Even if it happens in the first quarter as BITS points out. He should have behaved himself.
Where does it say that because the head coach did something wrong, versus getting sick, that the asst. coach can't request TO as the HC would be able to? You have never seen anything from the NFHS that supports this ruling. It's just something that you've come up with through your own interpretation.

Quote:
Upon further review, I think that it can be seen that my interpretation of this is not as unreasonable as some have made it out to be, yet I do realize that it is not the popular belief and I respect all of you who have challenged me to defend it rigorously.
Sorry partner, but it's completely unreasonable. It's simply a bad case of being over-officious, based on your own, unsupported interpretation.