View Single Post
Old Tue May 08, 2001, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

IMO a steady diet of good games makes for a better umpire. Even though there is more pressure in a close well played game, one is focused and on top of their game. The game is called the way it should be and one's skills get better developed.

Conversely, if we constantly umpire a steady diet of bad games, without even knowing it, we develop bad habits. One of them is the strike zone. If the game is a blow-out and there is no mercy rule - i do not know about you but the zones opens up in a hurry.

Granted, we shouldn't be out there for the money only, but on the same token, I'm not going to be out there for 4 hours either.

The other aspects of the game suffer as well such as calling balks. Basically, in some games balks are virtually ignored, otherwise we would have a balk-a-thon.
Also, try calling a balk when the score is 24 to something - you look like a fool if you call one.

Now I realize we have to start somewhere, but if we do not get tested it's really hard to improve one's skills. I now at least understand why some umpires just show-up for the money - RE: they never got the chance to improve especially if your in an association which is political.

In some associations the VETS only get the real good games and if you hang around long enough perhaps you too will get some of those games. At least in summer ball I get some real good baseball (Legion / collegiate wood-bat) to improve ny skills and keep me focused.

Bottom line the better the game, the more focused we are. It's the same as when we played. When the competition was good, it brought out the best in us and made us more competitive.

What's your take

Pete Booth