View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 03:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Re: Ooops ...

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Visiting team is getting thumped. It was something like 49-14 at the half. Just before halftime, there's a foul down at the visiting team end -- a trip, which I call. No problems, it just sets up what happened next.

I call the foul as the lead, switch, and the ball eventually heads down to the other end of the court where I'm, again, the lead.

Visiting player drives the lane and attempts to do a jump stop (picks the ball up, jumps off one foot, and lands one foot at a time). Partner (T) calls the travel -- I was RIGHT behind him had he not gotten this one.

I'm now the trail at the other end of the court opposite the tables, when I hear "That's bullsh1t!" in a not-quiet-voice. Even with a decent crowd, this was QUITE loud. I looked up just in time to see that the head coach was the one who screamed this.

OK, let's play the game of what happened next....there's more, but I'm late for an appointment. I'll finish this later with a reply to the thread.

--Rich
Well, I'm sure as Paul Harvey would say "the rest of the story" is that the coach got his T and his seatbelt.

The question would be did the coach get to finish the game? I know Rich isn't going to put up with much of anything from a coach especially after he gets T'd.

And I can hear the coach whining about "what did I do?" "I didn't direct anything to you etc etc.,"

Sorry coach but profanity if not allowed especially when everyone in the gym can hear it.

Someone said they might ignore it?? Don't even mention that - he just questioned your integrity and that is NEVER allowed.

Thanks
David
(1) This is a travel. A jump stop like this requires both feet to land simultaneously. Not only did they land separately, they landed like he was taking two distinct steps.

(2) My partner whacked the head coach. I turned to look at my partner just in time to see it. My partner takes about as much as me in situations like this. Like I said a few weeks ago, I remember one technical in about 10 years -- and this year I've been on the floor for THREE coach technicals, one of which I handed out myself.

The rest of the story is that it took great restraint after this to not show him the parking lot. After the technical, the coach gave my partner the big two handed "BS" wave and my partner told me that he kept control, although he had to make himself stay in control. Next time down the floor I called a foul on the same team for a two handed displacment on the post player receiving a pass. The coach started clapping and yelling "Great defense. Great defense."

I was annoyed, but I then realized the coach was just making a fool of himself and the most professional thing to do was not engage him further unless the coach really stepped over the line in which case he would get the second technical from me, which we had discussed at halftime.

The opposing coaches couldn't understand what this guy's problem was, either. It was 49-14 at the half.

After the technical, the coach sat down and the half ended. We talked at halftime about whether I should remind him of the seatbelt rule, and we decided that we would only address the loss of the box if the coach stood again -- we didn't want to fuel the fire. Of course, I had to sit him down the first time down the floor and this was met with another two handed BS gesture to my back. Again, it was pretty clear who was making a fool of himself -- and I didn't even know about this until after the game ended.

Ignore it? Never crossed my mind. Talk about igniting a bigger fire....

--Rich