View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 31, 2004, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by thadbrown
I assume most of you are familiar with the incident that occured last year when an official blew his whistle inadvertantly but wouldn't admit it. For those of you who do remember I'm curious as to how you think it was handled. (In the interests of full disclosure I am no longer interested in officiating basketball and I am a fan of the "wronged" team). To the best of my knowledge said official has never apologized publically or privately to the young man who was lambasted on national TV because of the official's mistake or to his team. Would it be inappropriate for an official to make such an apology? Are there some sort of legal ramifications? Is there concern that admitting to mistakes undermines an officials authority? Just wondering what other officials think.
Generally officials are not allowed to make public remarks except to clarify a rule in answer to a question from the media, and even this would only occur in an unusual situation. Any statements, apologies or whatever would come from the conference the game was worked under.