View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 30, 2004, 04:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by joseph2493
Because 9.9.3 says that teamcontrol is not established till the airborne player has both feet on the floor
Unfortunately, this is not what 9-9-3 says. The folks on this forum are extremely good with the rules and will make you pay attention to the details. What that article really says is that this player is EXEMPT from the usual backcourt violation when undertaking the actions listed therein. It does not state that team control is established in a different manner.

For what it's worth, I agree with BITS that a jump stop is not "a normal landing" and this should be a backcourt violation. The proof for me that this is not a normal landing lies in that fact that this way of landing has to be specifically written into the traveling rule to make it a legal action (not a traveling violation). Therefore, it is different and not normal.

Lastly, I'll contribute that in the 2003-04 Rules Book 9-9-3 was rewritten. Until that season the material in Article 3 appeared as exceptions and a note to the previous two Articles in the Rules Book. This is why some of the vets will refer to this as the airborne exception to the backcourt rule, although it is now actually structured as a rule.