View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Boys Varsity this afternoon. Team from Brattleboro, VT came down to MA to play one of our local teams. Not really a tournament, just a chance for out-of-area teams to meet our teams.

Great game. Double OT. Brattleboro hits a jumper at the buzzer of regulation to send it to OT. Local team hits a 3 just before the buzzer to send it to a second OT.

1st half, Team A running their halfcourt offense, kid running a cut through the paint. Defender quite calmly throws his elbow right into the cutter's chest. Right in front of me. Dumb.

A1 is fouled by B1 and A1 falls to the floor. I'm trail and play is right in front of me. I call the foul. As B1 walks past A1 (who is on the floor), B1 gives A1 a moderate kick. Didn't stomp on him, just swung out his foot in frustration. T for that one.

Early in first OT, had an intentional personal on breakaway lay-up when the defender just grabbed the shooter's shoulders from behind and pulled him down. Really dumb.

Later, B2 fouls A2. A2 immediately turns and A2 and B2 exchange forearms to the chest. Double T. The T is A2's fifth foul. A6 subs for A2 and shoots the FTs for the personal foul with no one along the lane. We go to the arrow and give the ball to B at midcourt.

Local team wins and as I'm walking off the court Brattleboro kid says to me, "Oh, by the way, you're a terrible ref." I said, "Excuse me?" He was stupid enough to say it again. "I said, you're a terrible ref." I went to the table and told the scorers to record a technical foul on 33. Then went to his coach and quickly told him what his kid said. I don't know if anything will come of it, but the coach seemed like a decent guy, so maybe the kid will sit a bit.

A lot of interesting stuff, and a very challenging HS game. I enjoyed the heck out of it. Had a good partner, too. Really had to use those game management skills.