View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 28, 2004, 07:09am
Huck Finn

I have to cover the whole spectrum when dealing with coaches. Sometimes I will be silent and sometimes I will talk a lot. I will laugh when something is funny and I will issue a T when it is needed. I will be very careful to not do or say anything that sells out my partner or gives that impression. I say that because coaches look at what we do to determine how to approach us. We should study and learn the different types of coaches to understand what we must do for every game. There are many coaches that don't want a safe ref. They want to communicate with us but they don't expect every comment to be answered. When I talk to others and put it into my own words I tell them that if a coach knows you are (crazy) willing to do anything and fair they will (more times than not) not act in such a manner to cause problems. Consistent officials have to say less the more they work. This is a good subject and one I like to talk about. I would just warn anyone about going into a game and trying a new technique. The wrong approach in the wrong game could turn out to make a situation worse.