View Single Post
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 02:32pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Makes sense. But, how about if the defender is standing on the sideline when he touches the ball. He violates as soon as he touches the ball, just as he would if he kicked the ball. Hmmm??
We discussed this situation once before. In fact, we agreed that the clock could start on the touch, but then would have to stop because of the violation in this case, so there could actually be a second off the clock. In retrospect, I guess the clock start/stop could also be applied to a kick.

Quote:
I think we have to conclude that if a violation occurs that would normally keep the ball on the endline, then A1 is still entitled to run the endline.
I would agree with this as a practical guideline to enforce the intent of the new rule. Can anyone think of an instance where this would not (or should not) apply? I'm talking about defensive violations, not about a foul which would result in free throws instead of a repeat throw-in.

Hey - how about a rule that says if team A was entitled to run the baseline and they violate, then team B gets to run the baseline on their throw-in?

Just kidding.