View Single Post
Old Sat May 05, 2001, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Many people don't realize it but it's a violation to cause the ball to go OOB. So, if B1 deflects A1 inbound pass and causes it to go OOB, this is a violation. But, what if the ball is deflected OOB on the sideline, as opposed to the endline? Is this type of violation excluded?
If A1 inbounds and the ball deflects off B1 OOB, the throw-in ended when it touched B1 by rule, so the deflection OOB comes after the throw-in ends. This means there would be a spot throw-in. However, the act of kicking the ball is it's own violation, and the NF position is that the kicking violation occurs simultaneously with the throw-in ending and therefore is considered a violation that occurs during the throw-in. Sort of like the tie going to the runner. Therefore, the inbounding team would retain the right to run on a kicked ball.
Makes sense. But, how about if the defender is standing on the sideline when he touches the ball. He violates as soon as he touches the ball, just as he would if he kicked the ball. Hmmm??

I'm just playing devil's advocate with the NF's semantics. I guess that's what Richard's doing too, with the 3 point throw that hits the floor. But if you look at the rule reagarding when the final score is approved, that rule is being re-written for the third time in four years. They just can't get it right!

I think we have to conclude that if a violation occurs that would normally keep the ball on the endline, then A1 is still entitled to run the endline.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith