View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 04:39pm
Official Forum Member

Have to agree with everything that has been said here, but being in the middle of the Texas hype, I have to say that the mulit-million dollar stadiums being built usually pay for themselves in the long run. They all have turf that requires almost no maintanence for up to 10 years. And the stadium is being used by other sports the rest of the year, as well as being rented for playoff games by smaller schools in that region. I completely understand and agree that money could be better spent on education, but it isn't like these schools are throwing away this money on athletics. Band competitions, drill team competitions, etc, also use these facilities. And for the one who complained the money should be used for higher officiating fees, the money paid to officials in Texas comes directly from a percentage of the gate. I'll admit I enjoy making $100-150 per varsity game, but that wouldn't happen either without the big stadiums and all the fans paying to watch the games....most of them band and drill team parents. These stadiums are not as much a drain on the rest of the education programs as it is a cash cow strictly for athletics.