View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMEngmann
Yes the level of sportsmanship remains pretty low. I had a game today as part of a girls JV/Varsity DH, during the JV game, the visiting team is losing big and during a TO I overhear the coach use the words, "push her" and the context sounded like she was talking about during screening action, like running through the screener. Sure enough, she yells "Push her" across the court with her team on defense and it appears as if her player plowed through a screen, the play didn't occur in my primary and I just heard the coach and saw an offensive player on the ground, and the coach was yelling, "Good job."

My partner and I discuss this and choose to give the coach the benefit of the doubt and decide that I'd approach her and tell her that she should refrain from yelling, "Push her," when it can easily be construed as telling the player to actually intentionally and roughly push through the screen. Of course the coach, who's losing by 20 points and had been making cracks about calls all night decides it's theater hour and during a silent moment in the gym decides to grandstand in front the crowd to mock me. Snide comments like, "Now you're assuming, and you know what happens to people who assume," and she uses the moment to enter into a sarcastic monologue with her players snickering and her fans applauding at the end. I walked away from that, and waited until she had the gall to question the lack of a call by saying, "That's blatent," about a minute later before I whacked her. The nerve, here I am trying to do her a favor and be helpful and she tries to publically mock me and challenge not only my integrety and knowledge, but also my control of the game. What a real classic example of sportsmanship to her team and what a role model for how to treat others. Sadly, at the sub-varsity level this is becoming more of the norm rather than the exception.
First, that is an INTENTIONAL foul, no discussion, no benefit of the doubt. You did not even say you or your partner CALLED a foul.

It's the norm because you are ALLOWING it to be, set your boundaries early and STICK to them. In Arizona we have Pursuing Victory with Honor, and one of the main aspects of the program is, as officials what we don't enforce we ENCOURAGE.