Thread: COACHING BOX
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OFISHE8
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that next time. I guess sometimes as an official, we can go out of our way to be "diplomatic" and, as a result, turn out to bear the brunt of many different situations. Like some of you guys said, stick to your guns and enforce the rules and be done with it. Unfortunately, I have developed a style that likes to communicate with the coaches during the game. This can be good and bad when we have a call that does not go his/her way. My theory has always been this: I will let a coach "chew me" to an extent if I feel I missed a call because I should be "chewed" for missing it to begin with. I put a lot of pressure on myself to calla "perfect" game every night. However, if I feel I made a correct call, then I will not tolerate the "chewing."
There's a difference between venting and chewing. If a coach wants to vent his frustration about a particular call by making some comments, or by asking questions, fine, if he's chewing on me, we've got a problem. Coaches have stressful jobs during games especially and if they want to vent frustration sometimes, fine. But if the venting is persistent and if it gets personal and becomes "chewing" that's when I begin to have a problem with it. The level of communication should always remain professional on both ends, as soon as it stops being that is when officials have to assert our authority.