Old Fri Dec 24, 2004, 01:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
The question I have about this is how many officials have to get their own games which are assigned by the schools AD's or coaches? I know that right now in Indiana we have to get our most of our own games that are assigned by the Ad's and Coaches.

Let me ask you guys that are trying to move up to the Varsity levels or want to continue to get the varsity games you are getting, How likely are you to allow a coach a little more leash because you them or the AD is assigning your game?

This is just a thought I had when reading this, that because of the way the games are assigned an official is more likely to let more go. I feel that there might be a correlation between the way games are assigned and the sportsmanship of a coach, which in turn makes the players on the team have a little less sportsmanship.

Just throwing this out to see what people think.
When I read about officials who have to get games from A.D.'s, I feel pretty fortunate to be in a state where our local association does all the assigning.

I'd hate to ref a game and get the feeling (conscious or otherwise) that I might get less games if I gave a deserved technical foul to a coach.

I'd also hate to ref in an area where coaches can have input to my ratings.... seems like giving a well deserved technical foul in that case might hurt too.

Z
I get many of my games from ADs and I would be 0% less likely to whack a deserving one. If it costs me a school, great -- I'd probably rather not work there anyway.

I've called one head coach T in the last ten or so years, though.

--Rich
I knew I shouldn't have posted that. I whacked a varsity boys head coach in the fourth quarter of my game today. But I was in Illinois today working a Christmas tournament.

My attitude on technical fouls has always been: Will this make the game better OR did the coach do something completely egregious and need to be punished for it?

I try to communicate in basketball as best I can. I will discuss fouls that I call and I will talk to a coach even if I have to stand there and listen to a coach disagree with me.

Today I had one coach in my ear in the first half. He didn't like a foul that I called and thought the post player traveled before he got fouled. I reported and went tableside and he asked me what I saw. I told him and he disagreed and I waited until he repeated himself before walking away. He continued and I had to turn and tell him to turn the page as the play was over.

The other coach wasn't so lucky.

The game was sloppy as we had the 13th place game or something like that (16 team tourney). Lots of defensive pressure up top. Kid didn't like the pressure, so he threw an elbow and the defender went down. Player control foul. Coach yells at the top of his lungs "Just put your hands all over them and then flop just like they do." Whack. Jerk.

The coach violated a very important rule (in my mind). He showed us up in front of everyone.

I certainly know how to take care of business. I ejected 12 coaches/players from baseball games in 2004 (in about 100 games). I threw 2 USC flags on varsity head football coaches this season.

In basketball I put the ball in play and either the coach goes back to coaching his team or he clearly makes an a$$ of himself in front of everyone and he gets whacked.

And I'm probably exaggerating a bit when I say one T in 10 years. I only remember 1 -- the one from last season. I don't remember much from more than 2 seasons ago.

--Rich