Thread: Personality?
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Ray

Mr Stripes is absolutely right. It's Scott, Ty, and Kirt and other board members who need to worry about. If they are non-varsity there may be a reason.

Take a look at the evaluation form the association uses. Mechanics is 24 points (converted to 20 percent). Court Coverage is 20 percent Game Management is 30 percent. They are importatnt.

When I evaluate there are things I always look for. (I know there are others who look at these things too)

1) If youre not having fun out there or at least some of the time you dont belong.

2) Are you working hard? Are you working the arc or are you standing still? Are you working the baseline and going strong-side?

3) What are your mechanics like? The straight arm is a necessity! I evaluated a JV game earlier this year with a guy I know well. He made the good mechanics when he blew the whistle and then when he went to report he was stiff as a board. You can have sharp mechanics and still be relaxed.

You never need to showboat but each one of us has our own way of calling an offensive foul, illegal screen, the push behind on the rebound. (Arm up pointing the other way... stating offense... whatever.)

The bottom line is that there are times you need to stand out and ther are times you dont. The routine fouls dont matter it's the tough ones, the bang-bang ones that will make or break you..

You can be too robotic but never too polished. Sharp Mechanics dont have to be stiff and robotic. Your personality comes out when you interact with players, coaches etc and it will come over time.

I know that sometimes its not bad to get someone you trust to watch your games. Have them nit-pick it to pieces (you gotta be willing to take it all) We do it during the summer all the time in the one league, but I think everyone gets better when you do. I have done this for a couple of friends reffing a varsity game on Friday night when I did not have one...

I do know there are those of us out here who will help you just let us know...