Thread: Personality?
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Personality is more that just floor mechanics.
How you interact with the players and coaches, when you put a smile on and when you get firm, body language, they all play a part.

I believe that you need to follow the manual as closely as possible. Your mechanics need to be fluid and comfortable at the same time. That comes with practice, and once they become second nature that will take care of itself (as long as the mechanics you are practicing are correct).

That said, you still need to do something to get noticed by the higher-up officials (evaluators, assigners). That doesn’t mean flamboyancy that detracts from the game. It means (to me) being able to manage the game. Knowing how to resist making the ticky-tack calls that just interrupt the flow of the game, and being able to identify the calls that have to be made. Having sharp, crisp communication skills. Being able to communicate with an angry coach and leave without the "T". Knowing when he/she has crossed the line, and being able to "take care of business" and resume play as quickly as possible.

Might be a little deeper than you wanted to get, but to me all of these are part of one's "personality".
Just one man's opinion, I'm sure that there will be others.