Thread: Personality?
View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

I think you have to show a little personality on the floor. I hope I look like I enjoy being there. I see nothing wrong with interacting (a little) with the players and coaches as long as everyone knows you are in control.

For example, had a kid make a steal and it looked like he had a break-away. B1 comes screaming down the court, catches up and attempts a block from behind. I hated to calle a foul but he clearly got A1 on the arm and head. We are lining up to shoot FTs and I saw my partner and most of the guys on the lane smiling. At the half I asked what was so funny. Seems A2 had asked my partner "Did you see him catch pokey on that play? If he can't run faster than that he deserves to have his shot blocked, dosen't he?" Partner said he just winked at the kid and said "It would be unprofessional for me to agree with you and embarasse him further."

I also think "getting into" the "big call" helps people know you know what you are doing and that you enjoy being there. You just have to be very careful and maintain control and not to "deminish your authority".

JMO