View Single Post
Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 10:50am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by hab_in_exile
Hey:

Just to clarify on the development angle......

There is absolutely no shame in being in the CFL. None. The athletes are great and they play the game at a very high level. At the very least, they play football and get a paycheque every two weeks. Nice gig if you can get it, and very few can get it.

Having said that, almost by definition, the best player in the CFL is slightly worse than the worst player in the NFL. Some of the Canadian guys may have grown up dreaming of playing in the CFL, but not one of them would turn down a chance to playing on the biggest stage. Again, not because the CFL is bad, but because the NFL is better.

My arguement is that we are developing our kids to be the best of the second-best, rather than the best of the best. It would be like another sport developing their players with the goal of making it to the Pan Am Games. Pan Ams are awfully good, but everyone understands they are a step below the Olympics.

I also got asked where I officiate. I just moved, so I have not worked any games in the Ottawa area yet. My previous work was in Northern Alberta.

I would like to get better with the Cdn rules, as likely my lack of comfort is part of the problem. Thanks for keeping me on my toes guys.
I'll be in Ottawa in February at the level IV clinic! There are alot of great guys in Ottawa. Kevin, Barclay, Ross, Pierre, etc...