Old Thu Dec 23, 2004, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David B
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser

I've called one head coach T in the last ten or so years, though.

--Rich
I pride myself in having great ref/coach relationships, but to be quite honest, 1 technical foul in ten years seems a little out of whack (pun intended). Unless you are only working 15 games per year, you might be letting your partners take care of business or you might not be managing your coaches (and maybe that system you work under lends itself to that).

Z
I dont' agree with that at all. In the last 10 years I have only called 2 T's on a head coach (one last week) And I don't have any problems with coaches.

I am approachable, but I also let them know that I won't tolerate anything but respect. Maybe since I've been doing baseball for 24 years I've just learned how to properly handle a coach since in baseball you have no penalties except the ejection.

Now I've had many many T's on a player and also 8-10 on an assistant coach.

The one thing I will NOT tolerate is a lack of sportsmanship from the players and the coaches. I think when coaches know what is expected they will go a lot further in helping you reach that goal.

This year our state has also let us start evaluating the schools which includes the coach. The last three years the coaches could grade us, but we got no feedback on them.

I think that is much better because the coach knows that he is going to be evaluated also when he's doing his reports.

There are many guys I know who love to hand out the T's, but they don't get the respect of the coaches at all. If you can achieve that without the T, then I think it goes further. JMO

Thanks
David
1 in ten years and 2 in ten years? Wow. I want to transfer to your area. I don't enjoy giving technicals if another option is available, but we have some coaches who are just so intense that they cross the line once in a while, even with the best intervention and communication techniques.

One of them gets about 10 T's a year from various officials because about every other game, he goes about 10 feet past the coaching box line while yelling and gesturing about a "missed call." In our state, bench decorum is highly stressed and being out of the box while complaining at an official is about as automatic as it gets. Let a coach do that at the state tournament and you're home real quick. We also have a couple of coaches who occasionally will get a T on purpose to "fire up their team."

I don't think I T'd any coaches last year but I think I had about 3 the year before that. I'd say I average about 2 a year. Of course, between girls and boys, I probably work 40-50 varsity contests and 10 sub-varsity contests per season.

We have some officials who average about 15-20 per year. Needless to say, they don't move up in the rankings because about 12 or 13 could have been easily avoided.

We have a couple of coaches I'll loan you so you can get your technical foul totals up a little. Trust me, even Dr. Phil couldn't do an intervention on these guys to avoid a T sometimes.

Z