View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 22, 2004, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Just wondering what different philosophies there are to handling "help" from your partner. I mean unsolicited help.

Situation 1)
You are LEAD and there is a tip OOB among a cluster of players. Ball tips off red under the backboard, You call "BLUE!" and point. Then you hear TWEET! and your partner out at the arc is yelling, "No, RED! Blue tipped it out." You are Sure you saw it right (or maybe you made an educated guess), besides it is in YOUR area. Do you switch to his call, or keep you own?

Situation 2)
Similar play, but you are the TRAIL. LEAD has a tip OOB play on the endline. He calls BLUE! You say to yourself. "Hmmm, sure looked like Blue tipped it out to me."
Do you keep your opinion to yourself and just move on, or do you TWEET and offer your version of what you saw?

Would you handle these situations differently if they happened only once in a game as opposed to several times?
Let's assume these things happen despite a thorough pre-game that addressed coverages and helping, etc...Thanks.
I have a very specific pregame on how this is to be handled. If a partner has info to give me, he brings it. It's up to me to change my call or not. If I have info to bring to him, I am only giving him info and it's up to him if he wants to change his call.

The other "rule" is that you don't offer this "info" to your partner unless you are 99% sure that you saw something that he or she didn't. I probably have a partner bring this "help" a couple times per season. I think I have changed my call every time it happens because they don't come in unless they are darn sure.

If I had a partner who couldn't follow the guidelines we set up in pregame, we'd have a serious talk after the game. No excuse for that.

Z

Hey Snaqwells, I don't understand what the problem is in your sitch. If you're trail, you're observing rebounding action right? If it goes out of bounds and your partner didn't see it, why shouldn't he be able to blow his whistle and look to you for help? What am I missing?