View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 10:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by nine01c
Just wondering what different philosophies there are to handling "help" from your partner. I mean unsolicited help.

Situation 1)
You are LEAD and there is a tip OOB among a cluster of players. Ball tips off red under the backboard, You call "BLUE!" and point. Then you hear TWEET! and your partner out at the arc is yelling, "No, RED! Blue tipped it out." You are Sure you saw it right (or maybe you made an educated guess), besides it is in YOUR area. Do you switch to his call, or keep you own?
First of all I do not agree that the official should blow the whistle. Secondly it depends on where the ball was located. If the call is right in front of me and it was obvious that person better have a good reason. If the entire play was right in front of my face, I might change it but we would have a serious talk at halftime or during a timeout.

Quote:
Situation 2)
Similar play, but you are the TRAIL. LEAD has a tip OOB play on the endline. He calls BLUE! You say to yourself. "Hmmm, sure looked like Blue tipped it out to me."
Do you keep your opinion to yourself and just move on, or do you TWEET and offer your version of what you saw?
If I have that much doubt in my mind, I am going to have to let that go. It better be something that jumps out at me. And most of what took place better come from my area. If neither are true, than the answer to this one would be no. I am not offering any help.

Quote:
Would you handle these situations differently if they happened only once in a game as opposed to several times?
Let's assume these things happen despite a thorough pre-game that addressed coverages and helping, etc...Thanks.
I do discuss these types of plays in my pregames. I am usually very specific as to what kind of plays these are more likely to happen on. A good example of what I am talking about is if the ball started in my area and went across their line. And in the process they did not see the initial contact with the ball that put it out of bounds. But if the play is in their area and right in front of them, I am going to leave it alone.

Peace