View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz
I've never been told to avoid this phrase as it seems to be pretty clear to mean that the foul was committed prior to the act of shooting. Perhaps I am assuming too much here as I feel the term is somewhat common (not that THAT makes it correct). How can that be misleading?
It's misleading b/c it sounds as though any time a player is fouled while still "on the floor", no FTs can be awarded. We know that's false. The act of shooting can start while the player is still touching the floor. Likewise, an airborne player can be fouled and not be awarded FTs (b/c s/he wasn't shooting). Being "on the floor" is not a reason for not awarding FTs.

You're right that it's very common, and most people know that "on the floor" really means "before the shot". Just like when refs say "over the back" we wince, but we know they mean "push from behind during a rebound". The problem is not that we don't know what you mean. The problem is that you don't really mean what you're saying.

Since "on the floor" really means "before the shot", just say "before the shot" or "no shot" (which is what I say).
Your right Chuck, I follow the rationale and I would have no problem migrating to these phrases. I'll make it a point to work on this week.