View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
A similar situation happened a year or two ago in the NBA playoffs. I think it was a Charlotte Hornets game, for some reason. Anyway, game was tied with 0.7 seconds remaining in the 4th quarter. Officials huddled, as usual. When play resumes, ball is inbounded in the frontcourt. A1 catches the ball outside the 3-point arc with his back to the basket. He squares to the basket, fakes a jumper, then takes the jumper. Ball is away before the LEDs and, of course, SWISH!

Officials wave off the basket and play OT, where Team A wins the game (I think).

There were obviously replays that showed the ball clearly out of A1's hand when the LEDs went on. So why was the shot waved off? In their huddle, the officials decided that 0.7 was long enough to catch, turn and shoot, but that anything else (like, say, a pump-fake) would not be possible.

I never did find out if that was an NBA guideline, or if they just agreed on the court so that they would be unanimous about counting it or not.