View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 21, 2004, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
In this Sunday's Packers/Jags game there was a hit on Leftwich and the ball became dislogded and batted forward by Leftwich in a passing motion (first time in real speed it looked like a pass) and ruled a fumble by the referee (good call IMO), however the umpire upon the ball hitting the ground ruled incomplete pass (could only see it in one of the replay angles they showed on T.V. but clearly he gave the incomplete signal, don't know if he blew the whistle). Meanwhile one of the Jags offensive linemen casually picked up the ball and just stood there while other players were attending to the injured Packer and Leftwich. From behind D. Sharper of Green Bay takes the ball from the O-lineman and runs for a defensive TD.

Now to the question, the pass vs. fumble aspect of the play was reviewed and correctly ruled a fumble, however shouldn't the ball have been dead at the spot of hitting the ground since one official signalled incomplete (I seem to remember a similar call a couple of weeks ago w/ a P. Manning pass/fumble being ruled a fumble but being down at the spot it hit the ground). First of all am I correct in my though process, 2nd did I maybe miss something, and 3rd if not shouldn't the umpire have spoken up and told the referee that he had signalled incomplete?