View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ignore as much as possible....

I recently had a MS Tourney that had a game similar to yours. As far as I could tell, we were calling a solid game.

Team A parent/"fan" on the baseline was vocal and getting increasingly chippy as the game advanced. Mid-way through the third quarter the parent had pushed me to my boiling pot. (Note: According to many officials, I am very thick-skinned.) After I called a blocking foul on his daughter, (Who had been beat to the hoop) the parent bellers, "Throw an elbow into her if she tries to get by you again!"

After reporting the foul, I approach the Team A coach and direct him to address the inappropriate and unsportsmanlike attitude of his fan. I specifically identified the problem "fan" (Red sweater, front row, etc...) (Note: this is the recommended procedure for this league. This is not how I would handle it in a school NFHS game.)

He states, "I will." and then sits down.

I clearly state to him that "the game will not continue until you address the fan, now."

The coach then realizes that I am serious about the request and slowly walks to the parent and states in an unconvincing manner, "The official wants you to be quiet." The fan remains silent.

As we walk back the the bench area, I tell the coach that any further comments from the parent will result in his fan's ejection from the gym and a team Technical.

The coach turned around and went back to the fan. I went to the table and directed one of the hostsite workers to get the site director to our court.

We resumed the game and it finished uneventfully as Team B pulled away and won by a 17 point margin.

As we were leaving the court a couple of other Team A parents approached us. I am thinking, "Oh Damn, here is more &*(*&%*."

They complimented us on our efforts on the court and said that this parent/"Fan" has been out of line all year and had not been "put in his spot" until now. They also said they hope more officials will do this (deal with his obnoxious behavior.)

I did submit a written synopsis of this incident to the league and am hopeful that they take a formal action to garner this fan's inappropriate behavior.