Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 02:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
Quote:
Originally posted by golfdesigner
Quote:
Originally posted by Snaqwells
This is an incorrect view of A/D, IMO. If contact occurs that makes the shot more difficult, an advantage has been gained regardless of whether the shot goes in. If contact occurs that had no effect on the difficulty of the shot, then there is no advantage.

IMO, Advantage/Disadvantage is the only way to determine whether contact is incidental or not.
I agree with almost everything here, however, I think you need to crank the "intimidation factor" in when a shooter, takes a shot; no impact on the shot itself; but the shooter gets "crunched" by the defender after the shot is away, the shooter may be some what timid in taking his next shot, so the A/D is not immediate, but kind of like a little something in the bank.

But I do agree Advantage/Disadvantage is the only way to determine whether contact is incidental or not.
BTW, the shot doesn't have to be affected to have an advantage from the contact. If the shooter is sufficiently displaced after the shot, there would be an advantage as well. A shooter getting "crunched" implies, to me, that they have been knocked to the floor. To me, if the offended party gets knocked to the floor, it's a foul (assuming one person is guilty of initiating the contact.) [/B]
And maybe it isn't a disadvantage on the (already released) shot, but it sure means that the fouled player can't follow his own shot.