View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

I try to use my judgement to not call a ticky-tack foul when the ball handler still has the opportunity to make it to the hoop and score. This concept can also be used when a team keeps control (or gets control) despite the "foul." I think that is where referees think about A/D. There is something to be said about flow of the game for small interruptions. This is also determined by the age of the players and their skill ability (or inability).

I once officiatied a (lower level) girls varsity game with a guy who called every single thing strictly by the book. We were in double bonus early in each half (we play halves in Massachusetts). This was an extreme example of a referee with no feel for the game flow (it never got a flow). He could have been a robot programmed to call something everytime there was ANY body contact (after all, this IS a non-contact sport, right?). This was years ago, and this "robot, strictly-by-the-book" style still has left a (bad) impression on me.

An excellent official knows the happy medium between calling strictly by the book and letting a game become a disaster by allowing rough play and not blowing the whistle enough. A/D sometimes needs to be considered, IMO.