View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 10:43am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
OK, I admit to stirring the pot a little, but my real aim is to get some views about why we call some things and pass on some others, especially when it comes to fouls.

I read a lot of posts here that will say something like "I didn't call that contact because no advantage was gained". Based on that reasoning, there would be no foul called on a shot when a basket is made, because the offense was not put at a disadvantage.

Sure, A/D has a place, but do some of us rely too heavily on trying to judge every play based on that? How do others determine what to whistle?

Hartsy
You have a good question and make a good point. I don't think many people rely on it for every play. For instance, a crash isn't really a A/D call. A 3-point shooter getting hit on the arm while attempting a shot isn't an A/D call to me either. A hand check on a dribbler could be an A/D call or a drive to the basket could be an A/D call or a pass. Now that I think about it, A/D is a small part of what calls are made and what calls aren't made. It is more about seeing the whole play while on ball and just seeing the play while off ball. Some people call according to the style in there area. I was told last summer that some calls would just be "game interrupters" and leave them alone. If the person with the power to assign says this to you the smart thing to do is fall in line. I'm sure others will chime in here with some words.