Thread: Blew The Call
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I've never understood why the double foul wasn't used more on post play.
Junker, the reason the double foul is not called very often is that one of the fouls is ususally clearly first. If we call the first foul, we go a long way to cleaning up rough play. Call the defender's knee in the butt and you eliminate the forearm push-off from the offensive player. Call the swim stroke on the offensive post player and you eliminate the reach over the shoulder by the defender.

A double foul is almost never an isolated event. Stuff has led up to it that we've missed or let go. Grab the first foul in the post and you don't need the double foul.
Chuck,
The reason that I am very careful about when to use the double foul in NFHS games is that it requires the use of the AP arrow. I really dislike this. Both teams commit the same act, yet the offense could also lose possession. IMO that is an extra penalty which is unfair.
I had a BV game last season that was very competitive. With only a few minutes remaining and a 2 point difference in the score, my partner called a double foul on two players pushing in the the post while a try was in flight. The ball went in and the arrow favored the scoring team. They scored on the ensuing possession as well and went on to win the game. It was never closer than 5 points the rest of the way. I felt then and still do that this call had a big effect on the outcome.
I prefer the NCAA rule which gives the ball back to the team which was in possession at the time of the foul.