Thread: Blew The Call
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 20, 2004, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
A double foul is almost never an isolated event. Stuff has led up to it that we've missed or let go. Grab the first foul in the post and you don't need the double foul.
This makes a great theory, and it's probably true in a well played, high level game. The stuff I see isn't nearly that simple. Tonight I had 8th grade girls tournament championship game, travelling teams, pretty good ball for 8th grade (although I still didn't need to know the details of GT or BI!). But these girls just don't have the jizz down, you know? Red's clearly winning this game, and Black plays very tentatively. So in the low post, most of the game we've got lots of legal contact, maybe a little nudge here or there, but mostly it's wall against wall. Then all of a sudden in the 4th quarter Black (who was behind 14-0 at the end of the first quarter) starts catching up. Red's getting nervous and lose their cool. All of a sudden low post is knees, hip shoves, shoulder pushes, back and forth. Black's banging and Red's returning in kind, and vice versa. Who started it? No clue. Double foul cleaned it right up. Great tool for the right situation.