View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 19, 2004, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

ref18, would it have been possible to explain to the coach the rule and avoid the ejection or was he that out of control?

The beauty of that play is that when a coach is so blatantly wrong and they complain like that, sometimes explaining to them that they dont know the rule can diffuse the situation, because the coach feels stupid for complaining about it afterwards.

Example in tonights game, B2 takes a charge relatively close to the basket, A coach complains loudly that it should have been a block or no call, when my partner tried to explain, the coach said that there is a semicircle under the basket where it is supposed to be a block inside that, ala NBA. . . i belive the exact quote was "I know the rule, I used to play!", Where my partner follows up by saying "Well coach, unless you played in the NBA, thats not a rule in this league." (NFHS). . .In this situation, he sat down and didnt say much after that, as he was humbled from his lack of knowledge.

And again, not being there I dont have any idea what the situation was like, but I know I've tried to communicate as much as I can with the coaches to prevent events like that. Just my opinion. . .