Thread: Foul and T
View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 10:21pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.

NCAA Men's/Women's: A1 is disqualified with five fouls. A1's technical foul is a direct techncial foul and could be treated in the same manner as I discussed in the previous paragraph. But this is a Point of Interuption situation. First,Team B shoots its free throws for A1's technical foul. The same player must shoot both free throws, even if the shooter is an incoming substitute. Then, A1's replacement will shoot his 1+1 with this foul being treated as the only foul occuring.
Mark, the way I read it this is a dead ball contact foul making it an intentional T. Offended team gets 2 shots & the ball at midcourt, ie no POI in this case.

A6 shoots 1&1 or whatever then B shoots 2 for the T and takes the ball at midcourt. NCAA men.

Dan:

You may be correct. I checked the NCAA Rules Book before I made my post and it didn't seem very clear to me. I can tell that I have had only one false double foul of this nature, common foul followed by an unsportsmanlike technical foul by a player and we used the POI and nobody complained about the order of free throws. But I think that this situation just highlights the silliness of trying to adopt NBA/WNBA rules to the NCAA. The POI just makes application of penalties more complex and complicated.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio