View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 08:10am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude

1) Coach A went nuts. He asked, "What is going on here?" and requested a TO. My other partner, U2 who was C tableside, granted the TO.
Coach A came out on the court for the 30 second TO and spent the most of the time staring at U1. (I guess for the missed OOB call)
Coach A called me over at the end of his TO to tell me that my partner probably made that bad call because he had questioned him about another call. I said, "C'mon coach, you know that's not the case...we probably just missed it...c'mon, your up by 25...let's get to half-time."

2) After the TO, the ball was put into play by U2 in front of coach A's bench. The ball was inbounded and was being passed around the perimeter...all of a sudden I hear a "tweet" and U2 is giving coach A a T.
We get together at the center circle and U1 says he going opposite table, U2 says he will go tableside, and I administered the free throws.
Before I went to administer the FT's...coach A called me over again. He said, "Dan, all I said was U2 is pissing me off and he gives me a T for that?" I was there only briefly and didn't say much of anything...just that we were shooting 2. I really couldn't believe this was happening...I figured the coach was just showing off for his wife, who was the scorekeeper, or something like that.

3) At the start of the 2nd half I went over and told coach A that he knows the rule...he will be seatbelted for the 2nd half. He starts in again, "So that's all you guys could talk about at halftime...that I'll be seatbelted?...well I don't care...I'm not sitting...I don't care...I'll miss the next game...I just don't care!!"
Now I got a little more personal...I said, "C'mon Scott, you know we'll have to get ya...don't make us do it."

1) The coach directly questioned the integrity of one of your partners, Dude. And your reply to that was to tell him that your partner missed the call? And don't give me "I said that 'we' missed it". He's talking about your partner's call, and you're basically telling him that your partner missed it. WOW! Are you kidding me? Instead of pleading with him to be nice, you shoulda taken over right there as R and either "T"d him up immediately or laid the law down to him. WOW! "My partner screwed up, coach, but please forget about it and be nice. Please, please." WOW!

2)If you hadda taken care of business during your conversation with the coach, this "T" mighta never happened. And then U2 has enough balls to not only call it but to say that he'll go tableside to answer any questions the coach might have about his "T"- and you then get involved with your buddy again. Of course the coach called you over. He already knows from history that he can say just about anything to you about your partners, and you'll let him get away with it. There's no wayinhell you should be going over to this coach in this situation with your partner standing right there.

3) Why wasn't the coach informed at the time of the "T" that he was seatbelted? Isn't that your job as R? Are you telling me that you let him stand the rest of the first half? The coach deliberately called YOU over after his "T" to whine about it. Don't you think that maybe he maybe shoulda been reminded about the seatbelt thing at that time when he's standing there complaining about your partners? And then the coach goes off again after half time? And your response again is to plead "Aw Scotty, please be nice. Please, please. For me, Scotty?".

Dude, I think that you need to do some serious thinking about this one. You didn't do a very good job for your crew and officials in general in this one at all. Imo, you seem to be more worried about retaining your good relationship with Scotty than taking care of business out there. Might be helpful if you go back and read Blind Zebra's post, and see how he took care of bidness. He supported and backed up his partner, and then did what he had to do. If you get any more games with that same coach and your same partners, it also might be wise to let U2 be the R, Dude.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 17th, 2004 at 08:19 AM]