View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 04:30am
Official Forum Member

Here's a copy of an email that I received from John Bennett on his softball rules differences book. I thought I'd share it with the gang here as there are some others who have bought John's book. The email reads as follows:

First of all, I should have my "The Umpire Handbook of Softball Rules Differences" ready by mid-January. Same price and information as last year: send $7 check to John Bennett, 6263 Via Ribazo, Anaheim, CA 92807.

Now, the real reason for this email. My Referee magazine article, page 60 in the January issue, has a ruling for NFHS that is different from last year's document. I recently received an update from Mary Stuckhoff, the NFHS rules editor and correct source for interpretations. The NFHS ruling is now the same as NCAA and has Casebook plays (9.1.1I to 9.1.1M) to support this. I will make this change to my 2005 version.

There is also a mistake in the article for the Ruling (page 60). Starting with the first sentence on page 61, it should read:

"In ASA the runs scored before the third out (which resulted from the appeal). Since the appealed out is not a force play for the third out, R2's and R3's runs tie the game. R1's run is nullfied because she is out on the appeal. In NCAA and NFHS..."

Sincerely,
John Bennett