View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 17, 2004, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Funny you should mention whacking a coach for the crew...

A couple nights ago me and a couple of JC officials did a H.S. boys Varsity game. 3-Whistle.
Coach A was winning by 25 points with 1 minute to go in the first half. (He had alread beaten this team soundly earlier in the year...he ended up winning our game by 40 pts.)
Anyway, Coach A...whom I have a very good working relationship with...went a little crazy. He thought a couple fouls didn't go his way. His team had 10 fouls...the other team had 5. He was probably right.
I was the R this night. My partner, lets say U1, had a ball go OOB in front of him on the endline. I was trail and saw it pretty good. The ball went off B1 but my partner gave it back to Team B. 1 minute to go, in a 25 point blow out, I wasn't running in and changing anything.
Besides, he didn't look to me for help.
Coach A went nuts. He asked, "What is going on here?" and requested a TO. My other partner, U2 who was C tableside, granted the TO.
Coach A came out on the court for the 30 second TO and spent the most of the time staring at U1. (I guess for the missed OOB call)
U1 later said he almost whacked him for the stare down but decided not to make eye contact with the coach and let it go.
Coach A called me over at the end of his TO to tell me that my partner probably made that bad call because he had questioned him about another call. I said, "C'mon coach, you know that's not the case...we probably just missed it...c'mon, your up by 25...let's get to half-time."
After the TO, the ball was put into play by U2 in front of coach A's bench. The ball was inbounded and was being passed around the perimeter...all of a sudden I hear a "tweet" and U2 is giving coach A a T.
We get together at the center circle and U1 says he going opposite table, U2 says he will go tableside, and I administered the free throws.
Before I went to administer the FT's...coach A called me over again. He said, "Dan, all I said was U2 is pissing me off and he gives me a T for that?" I was there only briefly and didn't say much of anything...just that we were shooting 2. I really couldn't believe this was happening...I figured the coach was just showing off for his wife, who was the scorekeeper, or something like that.
Anyway, we got out of the half.
My partner, U2, said he T'd the coach for the crew...he was showing U1 up with the stare down and didn't like his "pissing him off" comment.
Fair enough...I told him at half-time that was alright with me...and that now he will have to be "seat-belted" for the second half. We still couldn't believe he was freaking out over a couple calls in a blowout.
At the start of the 2nd half I went over and told coach A that he knows the rule...he will be seatbelted for the 2nd half. He starts in again, "So that's all you guys could talk about at halftime...that I'll be seatbelted?...well I don't care...I'm not sitting...I don't care...I'll miss the next game...I just don't care!!"
Now I got a little more personal...I said, "C'mon Scott, you know we'll have to get ya...don't make us do it."

I went to the division line opposite table to start the second half...fully expecting coach A to be standing. To my relief he was sitting.
And you know what...he sat for the rest of the game and never said a word the whole second half.

What the heck got into him?

Richland, WA