View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
NBA has a similar rule with the semicircle under the basket. You cannot guard anyone from there so either get outside the circle or accept a no call.
Not sure if anyone will care, but this is inaccurate in a couple of ways.

First, the Restricted Area rules only apply to a secondary defender, or to the "help" defense. So if I'm guarding my man all the way to the hoop and make my stand in the Restricted Area, the official is allowed to call an offensive foul.

Secondly, the Restricted Area rules only apply to that secondary defender if the play begins outside the Lower Defensive Box. (The LDB is a rectangle that is 3 feet wider than the FT lane on each side and extends from the endline to the lower edge of the jump circle). So if A1 gets an offensive rebound in the lane, fakes his primary defender and takes a dribble and plows over the secondary defender who is inside the RA, the official may still call an offensive foul.

Thirdly, the Restricted Area rules only apply to what we'd consider block/charge plays. If the offensive player "clears out" with his off arm (pushing the defender out of the way), then the official may call an offensive foul, regardless of where the play began or which defender is fouled.

Fourth, if there is contact in the RA by the secondary defender on a play that originates outside the LDB, you wlil most likely get a blocking foul, not a no-call.
...and I thought amateur basketball got complicated